If you're going to make jacket potatoes, you probably want to make perfect jacket potatoes. For virtually zero effort, you get something you really want to eat.
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C. Take one large floury potato per person. Prick several times with a fork. Rub with a little bit of olive oil and some sea salt.
2. Stick in the oven for an hour to and hour and a quarter, turning over after half an hour.
Your potatoes are done when they look like this:
3. Top with whatever you like, or scoop the flesh out and mash it with something before re-filling.
Things I like to put in, on, and around jacket potatoes:
- Vegan cream cheese (Tofutti, for example, which you can get at the kosher Franprix on Boulevard Voltaire (map). Serve with chives.
- Baked beans for the ultimate retro tea.
- Seaweed tartare.
- Posh or common mushrooms sautéed with white wine, garlic, and thyme.
- Tempeh scramble/hash (tempeh cubed or crumbled and sautéed with peppers, mushrooms, whatever you have lying around).