2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar (and extra for rolling)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp baking powder
80g dark chocolate, broken into small chunks
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup flavourless oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
1/4 cup warm water
1. Combine all the dry stuff in a large bowl.
2. Beat all the wet stuff together in a smaller bowl. This may take some time as you are trying to combine water and oil: never an easy job. Be patient and keep beating until the mixture is reasonably uniform.
3. Preheat oven to 190°C.
3. Add wet stuff to dry stuff and mix well.
4. Take a very heaped tablespoon of the mixture and form into a ball in the palms of your hands. Flatten slightly before rolling in a small bowl of sugar to coat. Repeat and bake the lot at 190° for 9-10 minutes, depending on how heaped your tablespoons were.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly (2 minutes) on baking tray before transferring to a cooling rack.
Makes 18-22 cookies.