Here's a cake that's a heady mix of Milky Joe and this recipe.
1.5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 sachet vanilla sugar (or 1 Tbsp vanilla extract as a wet ingredient)
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup soya (or whatever) milk
1/2 cup neutral oil
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup margarine
1.5 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 Tbsp soya or whatever milk
more dessicated coconut for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tin with foil or baking paper and grease well (with margarine or oil).
2. In a big bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and whisk to combine as well as possible.
4. Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined: don't over work it.
5. Pour into the tin and bake for 25-35 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make the icing: put everything apart from the decoration coconut and soya milk in a jug, and whizz up with a hand-held blender. You may not need the soya milk: add it little by little until you have a firm but spreadable icing.
7. When the cake is done, you have a couple of options. Once it's cooled, you can turn it out and plonk the icing on top and sprinkle with coconut. Or, if you've used a large square tin, you can cut the cake in half and spread some icing on one half. Then plonk the other half on top, and spread the top with icing before sprinkling with coconut.
8. Go coco loco.