I have a theory that the only reason people eat snails is that garlic and parsley and butter are delicious. Save a snail and give the same treatment to mushrooms. Way less gross.
I got the idea for the mustardy toasts from Leith's Vegetable Bible. It's a great book: you should probably buy it.
Ceux-ci ne sont pas des escargots - Not snails on toast recipe
2 handfuls mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Handful flatleaf parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
3 slices good baguette
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp olive oil
- Fry up the mushrooms in the olive oil until golden and juicy.
- Meanwhile, combine the mustard and olive oil in a small bowl. Spread on each side of your baguette slices.
- Place the mustardy bread in a griddle pan and cook till toasty. Repeat on the other side.
- Add the garlic and parsley to the mushrooms, along with 1 tsp additional olive oil. Cook for one to two more minutes. Season.
- Pile the mushrooms on top of the toasts.