To make this side dish of great deliciousness:
1 kg waxy potatoes
250 ml plant milk of your choosing
250 ml plant cream of your choosing (I used soya)
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 clove garlic
Couple of knobs margarine
Plenty of salt and pepper
- Peel your potatoes and slice them super thin: about 2mm. If you have a mandoline, use it. If you have mad knife skills, use them.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and cream. Add the bay leaf and nutmeg and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Peel the garlic clove and rub it all over the inside of an oven-proof dish. Then grease the dish with some margarine.
- Layer the potato slices in the dish, adding salt, pepper, and a couple of dabs of margarine between each layer.
- Pour on the milk and cream mix, having removed the bay leaf.
- Cover with foil and bake at 160°C for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes until the top is bien gratiné: golden, crisp, and bubbling.