4 big onions
3 Tbsp vegan margarine
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp thyme, crumbled between your fingers
6 cups rich vegetable stock (make your own if you have time)
- Slice the onions into thin half moons. Heat the oil and margarine in a big, heavy-bottomed pot. When the marge had melted, tip in the onions and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the onions are very soft, turn the heat up to high and cook for another few minutes, stirring often, until some of the onions are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle on the flour and sugar. Stir.
- Pour in the white wine and allow to cook for two minutes, stirring.
- Pour in the stock and sprinkle on the thyme. Simmer on medium heat for at least half an hour.